7 Quick Takes, Random-style!

Friday, April 5, 2013

Linking up with everyone's favorite robot-infested convert, Jen!
 
--1--

Let's start things off twin-style, shall we?

I saw this post on Abbey's blog on stupid things people say when they find out you have twins.  It's such a hoot!  Especially the video - we've definitely been approached about our babies MUCH more now that we have twins than when we just had one at a time.  Mostly I just get the, "Wow, your hands are full!" comment. 

But a lot of the times there's a, "Hey, my uncle's girlfriend's puppy's breeder has twins!" or the like...  How am I supposed to respond to that?

"Oh.  You better watch out, I hear they're contagious!"

or

"Well give me their email so we can set up a playdate!"

or

"Then you must know exactly what we're going through because somewhere in the six degrees of Kevin Bacon, someone you know had twins once!!!"

I just don't get it.  But I DO immediately feel like I'm a little bit best friends with parents of twins that I meet.  Especially Catholic parents of twins.

--2--

Well that was certainly a long take...

Here's a picture!

 
Yeah I haven't been good at taking pictures of them this week...  But they never take their fingers out of their mouths!


--3--

John Paul is usually pretty good at dressing himself in matching clothes - mostly he has memorized the outfits that I make for him and tends to pair the same things together himself.

Today he chose a new outfit - red sweatpants and an undershirt. 

So I suggested he get a *real* shirt to go over it, or maybe a sweater?

So he chose a red sweater vest.  And put it on backwards.  And wore that all day...  He kind of looked like the Red Power Ranger?

 
Maybe he got the idea from Cecilia's Pink Power Ranger outfit from Tuesday...



--4--

I was baking bread (15 minutes of simultaneous twin napping!!!) and the kids kept begging me for whatever ingredients I was using.  So they each got a little bit of flour and salt in a bowl.

Yeah, I don't know.  But it kept them out of my way for a few minutes!

 
--5--
 
What's that, you want to see the bread?  And you want a recipe?  No prob, it's just the most delicious bread ever!
 

Herb Focaccia (slightly adapted from this recipe)
 
1 cup lukewarm water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white sugar
 
2 3/4 cups bread flour or all-purpose
(all-purpose will make it less fluffy and more focaccia-y)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp olive oil
 
Topping:
2 tbsp olive oil
Garlic salt
1/2 cup grated mozzarella
2 tbsp grated parmesan
 
1.  In a bread machine, add ingredients in order listed.  Set on pizza dough setting, leave it until it's done.
1a.  Or you can put all the ingredients (in order, proof the yeast if you're not sure if it's active) in a stand mixer and use your dough hook, allowing to rise 20 minutes.
1b.  Or you can mix it by hand and knead it, but I refuse to knead bread since I got a bread machine on freecycle.
 
2.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees, shape dough into two ovals on a greased baking sheet.  Brush with olive oil, sprinkle garlic salt, and top with cheese.
 
3.  Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, serve warm.
 


We had it for dinner last night spread with baked goat cheese with marinara and pesto.  Yum!!!

--6--


Me: Cecilia, do you love pink?
John Paul: It's her favorite color!
Cecilia: I wuv purple. I AWSO wuv purple! I wuv wots of colors! Even... Mom's fingers!!!

Those are her new "Minnie Mouse" shoes because they are pink with bows.  I'm the best mom ever, basically.
 
--7--
 
Can you really pray a lot for Jen?  Because, all joking aside, I'm seriously freaked out by her impending medical procedures plus the whole 9-months-pregnant with 5 other children and I'm GLAD that she's lighthearted about this whole thing but really, prayers and prayers and prayers!!!
 
St. Macrina (unofficial patron saint of robots), pray for Jen!
St. Gianna (if you don't know her, read about her now!), pray for Jen!
St. Gerard, pray for Jen!
St. Januarius (whose blood liquifies on his feast day), pray for Jen!
 
Okay, pray some more and then check out more quick takes!

12 comments:

  1. I do think my daughter-in-law (Catholic, mom of 22-month-old twin girls and a one-month old baby girl) and you would feel a little bit like best friends if you met. You share an experience most of us will never have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flour!!! My girls are obsessed with flour...and salt...why?! They try to come lick it off the counter when I'm done baking!! That is the BEST IDEA to give them their own bowl...
    Also, your blog is starting to ruin my waistline. I think that bread would be great with some tomato soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bread looks amazing!! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny bread story for you: I went downstairs in my building to order lunch. The menu had a "turkey and spinach on focaccia bread" so I ordered that. When it was my turn to get my sandwich, I told the girl behind the counter what I had ordered. She turned to the cashier and said, "Do we have focaccia bread?" with a panicked look in her face. Turns out they didn't have any, so she sheepishly offered my ciabatta bread instead. Should I have told her I don't have any clue as to what the difference is??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed to make bread today anyway, and so I'm making yours! I'm all a-flutter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe I have still not made that bread. I am so allergic to the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cecilia sounds a lot like you at this age, what with the nonsense and non sequiturs. It's a good thing you're preserving them via the immortal internet.

    Some of you might not have known Rosie at when she was very young. Here are a few of her odd utterances:

    "Daddy eats green raisins. Poisonous ones." (He doesn't. And I have *no* idea where this came from.)

    "Mouses don't have bottoms. They pee on a shark." (Even Rosie doesn't know what this means.)

    (In the middle of a discussion about something else) "Why does Ross Perot have such big ears?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. The trouble with being friends in real life with other twin parents, especially the Catholic ones, is that with so many kids running/crawling/toddling around, it is hard to finish a sentence. It's also occasionally confusing trying to sort out whose children are whose. :-). That said, I always think chaos is more fun when combined. Playdate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - especially when the kids are at the stage where they need so much intervention - then it's more fellowship than conversation :P We had a play date the other day where the babies lay on the floor looking at each other and the big kids played outside and we actually had adult conversation - it was CRAZY! And we definitely need to have a VA playdate some time!


      Delete
  9. Um, I think you deserve an award. You have twins and you bake bread?? Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha only really 5-10 minutes of hands-on work, the bread machine does most of it for me :P But for some reason "baking bread" seems like such an impressive, complicated thing! That might be why it took me years to start!

      Delete
  10. I loved the Power Ranger outfits. My 3yo always puts his clothes on backwards so I can relate.

    ReplyDelete

I *love* reading your kind comments and will always try my best to reply right here in the comment box so we can keep the conversation going! If you have a blog of your own, please do link to it so I can visit back :)

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan